What You Need
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (80g) sprinkles, plus more for topping*
*Sprinkles, glitter sugar or food dye can all be used in this recipe to bring more color and fun to your sugar cookie baking.
How to Make It
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and granulated sugar together on medium-high speed until creamed, about 1 minute. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Beat in 1/2 cup of sprinkles, glitter sugar or food dye.
- Scoop large sections of dough, about 2 tablespoons of dough each, and roll into balls. (For extra glittery sugar goodness, lightly dip the tops of the cookie dough balls in more sugar. Place dough balls onto a large plate or lined baking sheet.)
- Cover and chill the cookie dough balls in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (and up to 4 days).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly coat with butter. Arrange chilled cookie dough balls 3 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or you can eat them all in one day!