What You Need
- 1 ¾-inch-thick slice country bread, whole wheat or white
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
How to Make It
- Use a 2-inch cookie cutter, or your kitchen scissors to cut a hole in the middle of the bread. Reserve the removed portion to toast, if desired. Break the egg into a teacup or tiny measuring cup.
- Heat a heavy cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, or over a medium-hot grill, for about 2 minutes. Add butter. When the butter stops foaming, place bread on the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Cook 3 minutes and flip over. Gently tip the egg into hole from your cup.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over egg and cook 3 minutes. Carefully flip egg and bread over, and cook for another 30 to 40 seconds, until the egg is cooked just over-easy. Transfer to a plate and serve.