Alchemy Release No. 3 Recommended Brewing Specifications
Monday, December 10, 2012
Pourover/Hario v60 – serves one
- 16.0 grams of coffee to 250 grams of water.
- Grind at #5 on a standard burr grinder (grind should be the size of sand coarseness).
- Bloom for 30 seconds with 32 g water.
- Pour to 100g and give a quick stir. Keep bed at this level until 250g water has been poured, stir once more and allow brew to finish, should take 2:45.
Chemex- serves two
- 32 grams of coffee to 500 grams of water.
- Rinse filter with boiling water.
- Grind at #7.5 on a standard burr grinder, about a med-coarse grind, should be the size of kosher salt.
- Bloom with 64 grams of water for 30 seconds.
- Begin pour slowly, going just 1cm above the surface of the grounds until slurry turns from black to tan/most grounds have sunk to the bottom of the filter. (~1:30-1:45 in).
- Add remaining water as quickly as possible in a circular motion. Give a quick stir at 500 g (in the same direction as the pour). Total brew time ~4:00
Press Pot – serves three
- Rinse press pot with hot water, discard water.
- 48 grams of coffee to 750 grams of water.
- Grind at No. 9 on a standard burr grinder (grind should be the size of super coarse bread crumbs.)
- Add coffee to press pot. Set timer for 5:30.
- Add 100 grams of water. Start the timer. Give a vigorous stir, Depress filter just below surface of brew, and allow to steep for remiainder of timer. When pressing the filter the grounds should sink readily and freely to the bottom of the press. If they offer resistance, “pump” plunger down and up once to introduce turbulence, this should eliminate resistance and allow for a smooth press.
- Fully depress press pot when the timer goes off and immediately decant into mugs/thermos.