Alchemy Release No. 1 Recommended Brewing Specifications
Monday, August 20, 2012
Chemex- 6 cup pot
Highlights the smoothness and clarity of this coffee.
- 54 grams of coffee to 750 grams of water.
- Ground at No. 7 on a standard burr grinder (grind should be the size of kosher salt.)
- Bloom for 30 seconds with 110 grams of water.
- Pour to top of brew chamber, agitate, and slowly pour remainder of water over grounds. You should finish pouring at 2:40 and the brew will finish around 4:00.
Pourover/Hario v60 – 1 cup
The slightly heavy dose bumps up the body while the quick brew time preserves its juicy candy-like sweetness.
- 18.0 grams of coffee to 250 grams of water.
- Ground at 5.5 on a standard burr grinder (grind should be the size of kosher salt).
- Bloom for 30 seconds with 36 grams of water.
- Pour to 100 grams of water quickly and agitate. Keep pouring slowly keeping the bed depth at the same level until 250 grams of water have been poured. This step should take one minute, ten seconds; so if you started your timer the second the water hit the coffee it should be at 1:40 by now.
- Agitate once more and leave it alone. The brew should finish in about fifty seconds (2:30 total brew time.)
- Drink it with some cantaloupe or a grapefruit half with a lil' bit of sugar for breakfast.
Press Pot – 6 cup pot
This method brings out the creamy toffee body with accents of tart green apple.
- 68 grams of coffee to 950 grams of water.
- Ground at No. 9 on a standard burr grinder (grind should be the size of super coarse bread crumbs.)
- Load the press pot with half of the water and start the timer. Stir vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Add remainder of the water and depress the plunger just below the surface.
- Plunge completely at 4:30. Immediately decant into a thermos or mugs.